Urinary Incontinence and Female Urology
Using state-of-the art techniques and equipment, our doctors at Cleveland Urology Associates offer hope to those suffering from urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse, from the simplest problem to the most complex. Our doctors are recognized leaders in developing new treatments for female urology conditions for over 30 years. They have pioneered many of the innovations that today are the standards of care worldwide for such conditions as urinary incontinence, pelvic floor disorders, vaginal and uterine prolapse and voiding dysfunction.
Our goal is to provide compassionate, individualized care to women suffering from these conditions and restoring their quality of life as optimally as possible. We work closely with our referring physcians to help patients conquer incontinence. To ensure high quality care, we follow the clinical practice guidelines for urinary incontinence developed by the Agency of Health Care and Research.
What is urinary incontinence?
Urinary incontinence is the inability to control urination. Dependig on the type of incontinence and its severity, symptoms can range from embrarrassing urine leaks and dribbles to total loss of control.
Some facts about urinary incontinence
- Urinary incontinence is a common problem
- Urinary incontinence can occur at any age
- Over thirteen million Americans suffer from urinary incontinence
- Incontinence is not a normal part of the aging process
- Two out of three women with urinary incontinence do not talk to their doctor regarding their problem and they live with incontinence without seeking help
- Women buy more pads for incontinence than for menstruation
- There is treatment available for all kind of urinary incontinence and surgery is not the only option
- Incontinence is a burden that can be lifted
- The costs of urinary incontinence are personal, physical and financial. Many patients suffer embarrassment, Isolation, ill health and even depression
What are different types of urinary incontinence?
- Stress urinary incontinence
- Urge urinary incontinence
- Mixed - both stress and urge incontinence
- Over flow urinary incontinence - Overflow incontinence results from failure of the bladder. There is constant dripping of urine. This condition is common in diabetics or in patients of spinal cord injury. In male patients it is due to enlarged prostate